An electronic resume is submitted electronically to a potential employer. This resume is used to apply for jobs online. There are two procedures to apply for online positions, such as:
- Electronic mail
- The Internet via web page
Nowadays, employers have to bear a huge labor cost to collect, fill and sort hard copies of different resumes. Various hiring companies use the electronic procedure to receive and review resumes to save money.
They may accept resumes via email or offer an online form that you can use to fill in your information. You can visit their “Career” pages to find the online application form.
You may get instructions to complete these forms to create an electronic resume.
While sending an electronic resume, you will have two choices: copy your existing resume information and paste it in the body of the email or send as an attachment.
Attached files are not preferred by potential employers because these attachments may have the virus. You can paste your resume in the body of your email instead of attaching a file.
Sending your resume electronically will help you to enjoy the following benefits:
- Electronic resumes are efficient and easy to send quickly.
- It is convenient for both employer and candidate.
- You will not bear any cost by sending electronic resumes.
- You will not need any envelopes
Key Elements to Mention in Your Resume
1. Your resume should be designed around a standard format without any fancy or artistic work. Keep your resume simple but informative to highlight your primary skills and attributes.
2. Commence resume writing by entering your contact details at the top of your resume. There is no need to write your date of birth, age, race, marital status or any disability because these all are irrelevant details. Provide your full name, telephone number, email address and mailing address.
3. If you want a prominent place among other candidates, keep your significant emphasize on the employment history. This is an imperative section, so include your job history and skills in it to prove you an eligible candidate. For example, for an accounts payable position, write your job duties like auditing, report writing, filing, cashiering, etc.
4. Your degrees, certifications and completed training courses will help the potential employer to understand your credentials, so do not forget to draft a special section to highlight them. Specialized training sessions and degree majors should be specifically highlighted.
5. Write your unique skills and essential proficiencies in a bulleted list but do not forget to consult the job description, as it is the only source from where you can get the exact words that you should be including for the position.
Tips for Electronic Resume
There are a few tips that will help you to make an electronic resume. These tips prove helpful to write an efficient resume that will help you stand out from the crowd:
Things to Do
1. Always copy and paste your resume into the email document.
2. You should design your resume, particularly for scanning.
3. Always use 12 points font, either Georgia or Calibri.
4. Left Align your text
5. Use highlights to separate different sections
6. You can write your name and headings in UPPER CASE.
7. Make sure to test the resume before transferring resume to your employer. You can mail it to yourself.
8. It is a good idea to send hard copies to top companies as well.
9. Your resume should have relevant keywords to get it shortlisted after initial scanning.
Things to Avoid
1. You shouldn’t make your text italicized, underlined or bold in the body of the email
2. There is no need to use shading and graphics.
3. You can use any font, but don’t use Times New Roman.
4. Make sure to use bullets instead of an asterisk (*) or a dash (-).
5. Avoid the use of indent or tab
6. There is no need to insert symbols
7. It is not good to use columns and do not center your text.
8. The font size should be 12 points.
9. You shouldn’t use parentheses, frames, or
10. Do not write a lengthy resume in paragraph form with lots of success stories, because no one has time to read all of it. You can discuss these things during an interview with a potential employer.
11. Highlight every positive point but do not write any negative aspect of your personality that can harm your career.
12. Do not include everything in the resume because you want to make your potential employer curious to find out more about you; so leave something for your interview discussion.
After sending your resume, you should start preparation for your interview. Stay positive and have faith in your skills and abilities.
If you have had any good or bad experiences with resume writing you would like to share, opinions or questions that you want feedback on, please leave a comment below. We would love to hear it.
Leave a Reply